Ads by Smowtion

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Book Review - Writing Nonfiction: Turning Thoughts Into Books

As I embark on writing my second book, I am learning some tricks from the experts. My first book was written without any guidance, but turned out well just the same. It was a learning process for me, and I learned I needed to know more about being an author.

Writing Nonfiction: Turning Thoughts Into Books by Dan Poynter

I purchased this book so I could get a better grasp on the book writing and marketing industry. As I was wanting to read it immediately, I purchased the ebook from Lulu; it is also available on Amazon and the Para Publishing site, which is Dan Poynter's own website. It is also available in print on both sites.

Dan Poynter is very thorough in his information in the book. He talks about organizing a binder to hold all materials related to your book, and provides a link where you can download a "write by number" if you will. I am using this system for my new book, and it is working very well. He goes on to stress writing non-fiction is better for the beginner. The easiest is to write what you know. I agree with him on this point completely.

He explains how offering a mini seminar is much more beneficial and profitable than just a book signing. People want to learn; and if you can teach or show them how to do something you have explained in your book they will remember it always. In addition, they will suggest your book to family and friends...word of mouth advertising is the best of all. Don't forget to include and order form in the back of your book. Dan explains the reasoning behind this as well.

Dan lists the Seven Principles of Financial Success when writing and marketing your book. One of them is selling information is bigger business than selling products. There is a lot of truth to this, as the majority of households have books on how to do many things. It is also easier than ever to publish your book, and this gives you access to sales much quicker.

He lists resources throughout the book, and for anyone purchasing a copy of the ebook, the links will take you directly to that site provided you have an active internet connection. It is a very good way to have all of the relative information at your fingertips. I would suggest a paper copy as well, as sometimes reading it on a device is not possible. It would be the perfect addition to your binder along with your Book Writing Template which is available on the Para Publishing Site. It is several pages to print, but is worth the ink and paper.

For anyone even thinking about writing a book I recommend you purchase a copy of this book. Along with the points I have made, it also explains the writing, publishing and marketing aspects as well. As an author, you are your own best marketer. You will be glad you invested the few dollars...it will save you from making mistakes and will yield greater profits and recognition in the end. I only wish I had known about it before my first book. But as the saying goes, better late than never!

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment