Ads by Smowtion

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Foundation Paper Piecing

Good morning all! It is nice to see warmer temperatures for a few days...I'm sure it is the calm before the storm so to speak. We can quite easily see -40 temperatures in the not so distant future.

The cold always gets me thinking of my quilts in progress and the ones I want to make. I usually take on a full size quilt, but sometimes it is nice to do a small one to hang on the wall. When doing the small ones, I like to use Foundation Paper Piecing (FPP). The blocks are more accurate and a person isn't working with tiny pieces of fabric. Bigger pieces are used, then trimmed once the seams are sewn. One has to be careful to sew the pieces together in the right direction...I have ripped out many a seam because I placed my fabric backwards. Occasionally that backwards piece does add some character to the quilt, so before you rip out that seam, have a good look.

To become familiar with the technique, I suggest starting with a small project, such as a coaster or Christmas Tree ornament. Some of my first attempts of FPP still hang on my tree each and every year. They are a reminder of my little accomplishments in life and my quilting career.

To begin, I suggest a simple pattern...a 4" heart is a good start. Trace it onto a piece of tissue paper or typing paper...copy paper works too, but is a little harder to see through and to remove. Place the first piece of fabric right side up on the wrong side of the paper in behind the space marked #1, being sure it surrounds the marked lines by at least 1/4" on all sides. Place the second piece of fabric right side facing the first piece, being sure it will cover all of #2 when sewn in place and pressed open. Turn the paper over and sew on the marked line between piece one and two, using the shortest stitch. This will make paper removal easier. Sew a little past the lines...there is no need to backstitch as the next line of stitching will secure your stitches. Turn over the piece and finger press open. Continue sewing each piece in numerical order, finger pressing open between each stitching line. A nice little tool to have handy is either a paper piecing seam presser or a Clover Mini Iron...these can be kept next to your machine. Using one or the either of these will ensure seam lines are straight. I have personally used the mini iron and have found it to be the perfect addition to my paper piecing projects.

When all of the pieces have been added, press the block one final time and trim the edges even with the paper foundation. I do not recommend removing the paper until all of the blocks are joined together. If you are making a small project using only the one block, place the block and your backing fabric right sides together. You may also add a thin piece of batting to give the block loft. Sew along outer marked line, leaving an opening for turning. Remove the paper and turn right side out. Blind stitch the opening closed. Congratulations...you have made your first FPP block!

Charm squares and fat quarters work great for FPP projects. Jelly roll fabric also works well, especially for borders and long narrow strips in the pattern. I encourage experimentation with fabrics and patterns. Some miniature quilts combine both applique and foundation paper piecing techniques, such as the "I Love Flying Geese Quilts" pattern. (I purchased this pattern several years ago, but am now unable to find an outlet for it online.)

It is time for me to go through my fabric stacks and cut some fat quarters and jelly rolls. Have a good day, and happy quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment